Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding Calaos System
Hi,
I have several question regarding the Calaos system. I ask here because some of the wiki are in french. I will be happy to add more information to your wiki page.

1. Please correct me or tell me if it is right what I write. So the Calaos OS is the operating system based on Linux (which linux? debian? redhat? bsd?) right and the application is already in it right?

2. The Calaos Server (core application) is the application that I can download and put in my linux server or other server? Is this correct?

3. If in my house now all wire are already wired up. Can the system work? Because from what I see in your picture it looks like must be for a new build house that can install your system. Unlike the cable system, X10 or Zigbee or Zwave It work through radio frequency and make the owner of the house no need to change or add any more cables. In this way, I guess your prospect user will be lot more because not too many people want to get their hand dirty taking care of the cable or wire. If everything is wireless it will be more attractive to the potential user.

4. I plan to work like this first step, I will try to install Zigbee receiver for one of my wall switch for light. Can the OS send signal to the transmitter to tell the transmitter on and off?

I hope someone can help me
Thanks
(07-16-2015, 05:59 PM)dsc81 Wrote: Hi,
I have several question regarding the Calaos system. I ask here because some of the wiki are in french. I will be happy to add more information to your wiki page.

1. Please correct me or tell me if it is right what I write. So the Calaos OS is the operating system based on Linux (which linux? debian? redhat? bsd?) right and the application is already in it right?

Calaos OS is a linux distribution based on Openembedded/Yocto and contains all the software you need to execute Calaos.

(07-16-2015, 05:59 PM)dsc81 Wrote: 2. The Calaos Server (core application) is the application that I can download and put in my linux server or other server? Is this correct?

calaos_server is a daemon, launched in the backbround and controls Input/Output. You can run it on a linux server, but most of the time it's used on an embedded device with real I/O

(07-16-2015, 05:59 PM)dsc81 Wrote: 3. If in my house now all wire are already wired up. Can the system work? Because from what I see in your picture it looks like must be for a new build house that can install your system. Unlike the cable system, X10 or Zigbee or Zwave It work through radio frequency and make the owner of the house no need to change or add any more cables. In this way, I guess your prospect user will be lot more because not too many people want to get their hand dirty taking care of the cable or wire. If everything is wireless it will be more attractive to the potential user.

Calaos is a good choice when you build a new house, in that case, you can use a Wago PLC, and connect all the wires of your house to it, and control the PLC via Calaos. Calaos uses also other wired and wireless systems, and is compatible with X10 for example. Recently we added support for MySensors.org wireless system.
Currently i'm working on adding support for ZWave, but it's not yes published or even working correctly.

(07-16-2015, 05:59 PM)dsc81 Wrote: 4. I plan to work like this first step, I will try to install Zigbee receiver for one of my wall switch for light. Can the OS send signal to the transmitter to tell the transmitter on and off?

I never see any Zigbee receiver with open protocol. I'm curious to see such devices and their specifications. If you have a spec of the protocol we can imagine integrate those devices in Calaos, but i fear it's not possible just like this.

(07-16-2015, 05:59 PM)dsc81 Wrote: I hope someone can help me
Thanks

Regards,
Nicolas
Calaos v2 sur Rpi et MeleA1000 | Eco Device | IPX800 | Karotz | 1Wire | Relais GPIO | Squeezebox
Hi Cap,
Thanks for your fast reply.
I never heard this Yocto Linux. But I will google it and try to install it. Is this using an RPM based module or DEB module? Just in case I want to install other module.

About the Zigbee protocol. I think it's more common now from Zwave in Asian mostly in China because price is more cheaper then Zwave. But the negative point is that Zigbee is not as standardize as Zwave, so They maybe a case that 1 zigbee unit cannot talk to other unit because of the different manufacturer. You can check more about zigbee in zigbee.org
I really hope that this protocol is more easy to develop or more common to you guys.

Thanks
DC